Home Dr Foot Discussion
Take Care of Your Feet!
Facebook Twitter RSS
FAQFAQ† †SearchSearch† †MemberlistMemberlist† †UsergroupsUsergroups† †RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile† †Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages† †Log inLog in

Dr Foot Home Shopping Talk to a Podiatrist
Excruciating stabbing pain in lower, outer edge of heel.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Excruciating stabbing pain in lower, outer edge of heel. Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I have a question that I've not been able to find an answer to.

Back in June I developed a dull pain the back of my heels that my doc told me was achilles tendonitis. He said with stretching and NSAIDs it would go away. Well it hasn't, and I've been living with it. It feels more like a bursitis to me - it's right at the back of my heel rather than up the tendon. But anyway on to the question.
On thursday last week as I stood up to leave my desk and come home, I had a sharp, shooting pain in the lower, outer edge of my left heel that came on so fast it felt like I'd stood on a not nail. It was such a shock that I nearly fell over trying to get weight off my foot. Since then I've been able to localise it and figure out how to reproduce the pain. I've scoured the internet forums and medical sites and nobody seems to have any mention of this particular problem.
To make it hurt, I stretch my left leg, toes pointed, ankle rolled outwards. If I now bring my toes up and start to roll my ankle inwards the pain comes on really quickly. It's directly below and behind my ankle joint, on the outside, just where the side of my foot becomes my heel. It's not in the right place to be a heel spur or plantar fasciitis from what I can tell, and when it happens, it feels like something inside is either tearing, or someone is slicing the outside of my heel open with a hot knife. When I move my foot so as to get rid of the pain, the area goes completely numb for about 5 minutes - I can touch the skin but not feel it.
I can do the normal stretching excersises without any problem until my ankle begins to roll inwards then it becomes so painful so quickly it literally takes my breath away for a moment.
Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I've got an appointment with my doc in 10 days or so but I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about given that he said my original heel pain would go away with stretching, NSAIDs and massage - and it hasn't.
gsprague

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chrisell,

Hopefully you will still get this reply!? I have exactly the same pain in my heel. Did you every find out what the cause or treatment is?

My Dr. thinks it is plantar fasciitis but I have been doing stretching for that for weeks with no relief! I am thinking it might be some kind of nerve issue.

Thank you!
chrisell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - long dead topic, but yes I'm still here Smile
So this problem turned out to be a trapped nerve in my case. A couple of visits to the physical therapist and they were able to solve the problem for me. They started by treating for achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis with ice cups and deep tissue massage and muscle manipulation but in the course of doing so, discovered the trapped nerve. Once that was diagnosed they solved it in a matter of weeks.
It wasn't being helped by my weight which was playing havoc with my knees and Achilles tendons too.
Not because of this - but for other reasons - I spent a year of carefully watching what I ate and increased my exercise regime in 2009 and lost 80lbs. My Achilles tendon problems and knee problems disappeared and the trapped nerve that was causing the pain in my foot has never been a problem again since.
gsprague

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding so quickly! Congrats on the weight loss!

I am an avid runner and I have had the same problem for over a month now. I have stopped running and have been stretching past the point of comfort for weeks with no difference.

I have a plantar fasciitis physical therapy prescription but haven't gone yet and have just been doing stretching on my own. Maybe I have something similar to your trapped nerve and it can be massaged out as well. I'll have to make an appointment ASAP.

Thanks again for your response! Laughing
chrisell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like physical therapists - they work wonders with all sorts of problems without you needing surgery or drugs Smile
GlennRMT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: What was your Diagnosis? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm wondering if you remember or could pull up your specific diagnosis? Apologies for making more work for you, but I'm trying to figure out your ailment - a patient of mine showed your posting enthusiastically, reporting the same symptoms, but when I reference the anatomy in the area, I can't link what nerve this could be or where it's pinched.

Many thanks! Very Happy
Glenn, Massage Therapist

Quote:
Back in June I developed a dull pain the back of my heels that my doc told me was achilles tendonitis. He said with stretching and NSAIDs it would go away-clip-
... as I stood up to leave my desk and come home, I had a sharp, shooting pain in the lower, outer edge of my left heel that came on so fast it felt like I'd stood on a not nail. It was such a shock that I nearly fell over trying to get weight off my foot. Since then I've been able to localise it and figure out how to reproduce the pain. I've scoured the internet forums and medical sites and nobody seems to have any mention of this particular problem.
To make it hurt, I stretch my left leg, toes pointed, ankle rolled outwards. If I now bring my toes up and start to roll my ankle inwards the pain comes on really quickly. It's directly below and behind my ankle joint, on the outside, just where the side of my foot becomes my heel. It's not in the right place to be a heel spur or plantar fasciitis from what I can tell, and when it happens, it feels like something inside is either tearing, or someone is slicing the outside of my heel open with a hot knife. When I move my foot so as to get rid of the pain, the area goes completely numb for about 5 minutes - I can touch the skin but not feel it.
I can do the normal stretching excersises without any problem until my ankle begins to roll inwards then it becomes so painful so quickly it literally takes my breath away for a moment.
chrisell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What was your Diagnosis? Reply with quote

GlennRMT wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering if you remember or could pull up your specific diagnosis? Apologies for making more work for you, but I'm trying to figure out your ailment - a patient of mine showed your posting enthusiastically, reporting the same symptoms, but when I reference the anatomy in the area, I can't link what nerve this could be or where it's pinched.
Many thanks! Very Happy
Glenn, Massage Therapist

I'm trying to think back now. I think it was during some of the stretching routines that I had the same pain when the therapist pressed on the sural nerve under my outer ankle - does that make sense? It was either trapped or compressed somehow between some soft tissue and a bone in the back of my foot. I seem to remember something about tarsal tunnel too but it was 6 years ago now, plus I don't really know what these terms mean- I'm just trying to remember what he told me.

Hope this gives you enough clues to point you in the right direction. The ultimate diagnosis for me turned out to be the shoes I was wearing. Something in the design of the shoe was pressing on the area in question even though I couldn't really tell and it caused the pain I was having by causing the nerve to get pinched or trapped.
Carrotchasing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: What did they do at phys Therapy? Reply with quote

I have a similar problem and I'm wondering what the physical therapists did for you once they discovered it was a nerve issue?
irfa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Its a wonderful site buddy and nice post as well. I really love the info mentioned there and want to get benefited of the whole stuff. Thanks for all... have a nice day:)
skin care

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what the hell is this all about? Iím just sitting here or walking around and suddenly it feels like someone is stabbing me in my thigh with a knife. The pain is only momentary, but excruciating.
jennapnw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Outer Heel Pain Reply with quote

I too started having this pain running up my outer heel, like an electric jolt. Very Painful, stops me in my tracks! I am a diabetic and wonder if any of you having this same pain are also diabetic.
Nurimex

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Excruciating stabbing pain in lower outer edge of Reply with quote

Hi,
For two years now I have had back of the heel pain. I went through physical therapy, sims, ultra sound, custom inserts, Topaz treatment; which uses radio frequency to break up the scar tissue.

That made it worse The xray shows both heels have a hole in the back to the heel, with a 1 cm spur, on the back of the heel, below the tenon. The next step would be to cut the tenon, remove it from the heel, grind down the bone, and lengthen the tenon, with a 1- 1 1/2 year healing time.

Any other options?

Has anyone heard of a procedure called Endoscopic Calcaneoplasty? This is a endoscopic removal of the spur. I am in Los Angeles, bu can not find any info on this procedure.

Thanks,
Jon
lerbon123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing stretching for that for weeks with no relief! I am thinking it might be some kind of nerve issue.
cheap diablo 3 gold
diablo iii gold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr Foot Discussion Forum Index -> Heel Pain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: