Home Dr Foot Discussion
Take Care of Your Feet!

Facebook Twitter RSS
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr Foot Home Shopping Talk to a Podiatrist
Pain in side of foot and heel, please help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leesha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Pain in side of foot and heel, please help Reply with quote

For the past few weeks, I have had severe pain in my left heel and at the side of my left foot. My mother suggested it was a spur, and so I went to see the doctor who ordered X-rays. When I returned to see him, he said it was not a heel spur but plantar fascitis- however, since reading a lot about this subject, I realize they are the same thing, which has caused me even greater frustration. He told me it was most likely cracked feet, and a "bit" of plantar fascitis - and he would not inject my feet with cortisone. My feet aren't that bad. I've had cracked heels before which didn't cause this much pain and although my heels have slightly hardened skin, they are not the cause of the problem, I am sure.

When I get up in the morning, or after a rest, the pain is bad. I sometimes get a shooting pain through the heel as well. I have started to wear heel/arch supports and better shoes such as Nikes with a proper arch - this alleviates it a bit, but as soon as I take them off and walk around in other shoes, the pain increases.

About two months ago, I started a walking regime and increased the walking to two hours. My partner noticed that I was not walking properly and would often drag my feet, so I started to walk slower and made sure I walked properly. Throughout the first few weeks, I noticed an increased pain in my front and back calf muscles, however, no heel pain. Then we were in the process of moving house and that is when it started badly. I was wearing flat heeled shoes and the pain became so bad that I would often break down and cry.

The X-rays showed up a previous injury in my left ankle (a very bad fall which left me resting for weeks).

I will seek further advice, but am I right in assuming this is a heel spur? Others have stated it could be sinus tarsi syndrome. I have been massaging my foot and doing some exercises, but the pain returns the very next morning.

Thank you. I hope you can help.

Leesha
Dr Foot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the symptoms you have described it would appear to be plantar fasciitis. To rule out sinus tarsi syndrome you may nee a MRI scan which is the only definitive diagnostic test for this condition. Click below to read information about treatment, exercises, hydrocortisone injections and possible surgical treatment. If it is chronic inflammation and you have tried all the conservative treatment options than it you may wish to consider acupuncture as this has alleviated symptoms in some patients.

http://www.drfoot.co.uk/heel%20pain.htm
Leesha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your reply, I appreciate it.

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr Foot Discussion Forum Index -> Heel Pain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: