Home Dr Foot Discussion
Take Care of Your Feet!

Facebook Twitter RSS
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr Foot Home Shopping Talk to a Podiatrist
I had the hammer toe surgery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr Foot Discussion Forum Index -> Skin Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PAstudentNC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: I had the hammer toe surgery Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just wanted to give some info on hammer toe surgery in case anyone was thinking about going through with it. I had suffered from pressure and resulting corns on my 4th and 5th toes of both feet for about 5 years. I tried everything before taking this final step. My podiatrist said that it was definitely a "structural" problem, and on X ray I could actually see the bony knots where I had extra bone. This surgery is actually very common and a common complaint of many people. Before surgery I really didn't have to do much except wash with an antibacterial soap given to me by the surgery center. I was put under conscious sedation ( meaning I was able to breathe on my own) and a nerve block injection, in which I don't remember anything and didn't feel any pain. After surgery I was able to walk immediately, and had to wear "surgical walking boots", which didn't bother me too much (just a little ugly). I only needed 800 mg Ibuprofen and some aspirin/codeine pills for a couple of days. I tried to stay off my feet and keep them elevated as much as possible. I was surprised at how little pain I felt. Two weeks later I had my stitches removed. The doc said my swelling wasn't bad and the skin was healing properly. I was also able to stop wearing the surgical boots at that time, although I just wore Crocs and Addidas flip flops. By 5 weeks post op, my incisions were healed, although swelling was still apparent (which is normal months after surgery.) There was no constant pain, just occasional pain if I bumped my toe on a chair or something. I am now 9 weeks postop and things are still healing and a little swollen- in which I wrap my toes at night with compression wrap- found at CVS and significantly decreases the swelling. I started jogging again at this time, and things are fine. I can wear most shoes now, but am staying away from high heels. I make sure to keep my feet out of sunlight because that will darken the scars (hyperpigmentation) - my scarring has been minimal due to moisturizers, Mederma, and Shea butter cream. The corns are fading and I feel like this procedure was worth it. Hope this helps anyone wondering about the procedure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr Foot Discussion Forum Index -> Skin Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: