Home Dr Foot Discussion
Take Care of Your Feet!
Facebook Twitter RSS
FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dr Foot Home Shopping Talk to a Podiatrist
Red painful spots on underside and end of toes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr Foot Discussion Forum Index -> Skin Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Red painful spots on underside and end of toes Reply with quote

Dr. Foot,
Every winter I seem to get these very tender shiny red areas at the end and on the undersides on some of my toes. At times, they came make walking or the wearing of any shoes very uncomfortable, such that I limit activities.

Though I've had three episodes of gout in the past 12 years, these areas do not effect the joint and though problematic they are no where near as painful as a gout episode. The skin is firm, shiny red and almost hard in these areas that are a 1/4" to 3/4" in size. There are no symptoms of numbness or heat and my blood sugar levels are normal.

Are these simply pressure related tender spots? And if so, why do they tend to occur in winter and take several days to go away even after I start avoiding shoes. Any insight or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
Dr Foot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be chilblains, click below to read more

http://www.drfoot.co.uk/chilblains.htm
Pizzazz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this post with great interest as I have the same symptoms. Additionally, they never get to the point where they are itchy or open soars. These red areas are painful and are generally located at the tip of my toes with rare occurrences on the bottom of my toes. They seem to fade away after a week or two without experiencing any boils or blisters. Once these uncomfortable areas show up on one foot, the same symptoms will likely be experienced on the other foot within a week or two. I always keep my feet nice and dry and experience no symptoms between my toes. I also wear clean, white, dry cotton socks. These red areas feel raw without looking raw. They never grow larger than about inch in diameter and never become boils or blisters. They simply fade away after several days or weeks discomfort. Any ideas what these could be?
Pizzazz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Foot is correct! I just got back from the doctor's office where I learned I have Chilblains (or sometimes called Pernio). Now for my personal opinion on what causes this condition: I enjoy keeping the temperature in my home very cool - around 55 degrees F. This saves on the heating bill. Unfortunately, my feet and hands become cold and the blood flow to my feet is clearly reduced. Another consideration is socks! Whenever I remove my socks, I can see the imprint of the socks on my calfs. It is possible that tight fitting socks may restrict blood flow to my feet - so I will find some socks that will not fit as tightly. The doctor also suggested taking a couple of aspirin every day. This indicates to me that there is a need to improve blood circulation. In closing, if your feet are warm, blood will circulate and hopefully resolve this condition.
apruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Chilblains and link to neuropathy? Reply with quote

I was very interested in the posts about chilblains. It sounds exactly like what I've been dealing with this very cold and snowy New England winter (my first). I exercise regularly, wear warm ski socks nearly all the time, keep a space heater on my feet when working, but I haven't tried the aspirin. I'm wondering though if anyone can tell me if there is any link to neuropathy--I have had problems with numbness and tingling in my hands and feet after being ill and going into septic shock a few years back and receiving some pretty harsh drugs that may have caused some mild nerve damage. If there is a link, does that suggest a different course of action? Thank you.
youtubevideo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I t mabe aChilblians for the Dr.Foot Discussion in the topic Thank you.
Isabella

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,I know what should I do!
Ram

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Same issue Reply with quote

Hi, I have the same issue, so having aspirin will solve this? Please help.
skin care

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter make skin dry and rough, during winter time you should give proper moisture to your skin. It help to keep skin soft.
Elmbaby

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Las Vegas Dermatologist Reply with quote

I am not sure but i would guess planter's warts too. I think you should just go to a your regular doctor, he/she might know what it is and tell you if you do need to go to a foot doctor or somewhere else. For now you should leave it alone for maybe three days (unless it HURTS!) and see what happens then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr Foot Discussion Forum Index -> Skin Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: