Home Dr Foot Discussion
Take Care of Your Feet!

Facebook Twitter RSS
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr Foot Home Shopping Talk to a Podiatrist
walking cast vs. non-weight bearing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr Foot Discussion Forum Index -> Sports Injuries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
footie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: walking cast vs. non-weight bearing Reply with quote

Hoping for some feeback.
I fractured my 5th metatarsal a week ago--ouch--seems to be a common bone to break. I was in a splint until the swelling went down, and then they put me in a cast yesterday. I saw a Physician's Assistant, but he didn't seem to know what he was doing in general, so now I am paranoid. He put me in a walking cast, rather than a non-weight bearing cast. I still have crutches, but he said to start to walk on it as soon as I can. Does this seem right? Is it too soon after the break--one week? Also, I have been in a lot of pain since the cast was put on. Is this normal? Thanks, all!
Dr Foot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non weight-bearing immobilization for six to eight weeks is usually recommended depending on the severity and type of fracture i.e acute fracture or stress fracture and depends on the location of the fracture.

I really should write a article about fifth metatarsal fractures. I know a colleague who has written several papers on the the treatment options of this injury, I will ask him for some information to post on this forum.
footie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: non weight bearing Reply with quote

So you don't think I should be putting weight on it at all, even in the cast and with crutches? What should I do? Go to a different doc? It was an acute fracture. Thanks for advice/help.
Dr Foot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it described as a acute jones fracture? If so it depends on the type of fracture i.e type 1, 2, 3. We always tell patients not to put any weight on it all but in reality patients do put some weight on it, you can always tell with the dirty casts or boots!

Last edited by Dr Foot on Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
footie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: don't know type Reply with quote

Hmm. Not sure type of fracture. Doc sucked. I will ask when I go back. Got cast after 6 days and said to try to put weight on it with crutches. Is that bad advice? I am trying to stay off of it anyway, because it hurts! And it's swelling a lot when I don't put it up.
Dr Foot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to your body, if it hurts when you put weight on it than do not put any weight on it. Advice may vary from country to country but generally you allow the metatarsal to heal but not putting any pressure on it for the initial 6-8 weeks but as i said that rarely happens.
koorahk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Footie, I was given a lower leg walking cast and crutches, for 5th met#, but told to weight bear as comfortable. I had the first cast on for 4 weeks but was still in pain when taken off so had another cast put on for another 2 weeks. It still hurt and was swelling terribly but I was discharged from clinic and referred to physio. I didn't get physio appt for 5 weeks. In the meantime, 3 weeks after cast came off, my foot/ankle began to swell very noticeably and increased pain. The physio has referred me back to the fracture clinic! My advice to anyone with these type of fractures is to take it slowly and rest foot as much as possible. I wish I'd taken things slower and walked less on it! So, until I go back to the clinic I'm back to partial weight bearing and carry on using crutches - even need to use crutches indoors again! I'm also putting a light crepe bandage on it as it feels so much better and doesn't swell as much, but take it off at night in bed. The physio told me that foot injuries are about the worst to heal quickly as they take full weight when walking and lots of little bones etc.
Take care!
Helen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr Foot Discussion Forum Index -> Sports Injuries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: