Home Dr Foot Discussion
Take Care of Your Feet!

Facebook Twitter RSS
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr Foot Home Shopping Talk to a Podiatrist
toe numbness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbmadill

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: toe numbness Reply with quote

My little toe on my left foot has felt semi numb for the last three weeks. It has spread first to the toe next to it and then to the sole of my foot in the area next to them. When I rub or message the affected area the flesh feels normal and the numbness remains. It is most noticeable when I walk. It feels as if I am walking on thick skin in that area. Is this a common sensation? What are the possible causes?
ksparks33

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: any better? Reply with quote

I have been expereincing the same thing. Wondering if you got anywhere with this or can give me advice.
Dr Foot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prolonged numbness or loss of sensation is called peripheral neuropathy.

Peripheral neuropathy is a relatively common neurological disorder that results from damage to the peripheral nerves. It can be caused by a number of diseases of the nerves or be the result of systemic illnesses. Many of the peripheral neuropathy's have a well established cause such as diabetes, alcoholism, uremia, AIDs, or nutritional deficiencies. Diabetes is, by far, one of the most common causes of peripheral neuropathy. Other less common causes include exposure to cold or radiation, a few medicines, toxic substances, vascular or collagen disorders, systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma and rheumatoid arthritis.

If a sensory nerve is damaged, the predominant symptoms are pain, numbness, tingling, burning or a loss of feeling. They often begin gradually. There may be a tingling sensation or numbness that starts in the toes and/or the balls of the feet and spreads upward. Occasionally the skin may become so sensitive that the slightest touch is agonizing. There may also may be a numbness, or a complete lack of feeling in the feet. At times the symptoms may be barely noticeable and at other times, especially at night, they may be almost unbearable. The symptoms may also include a sensation that you're wearing an invisible glove or sock; a burning or freezing pain; sharp, jabbing or electric pain; and an extreme sensitivity to touch.

If the motor nerves are damaged there may be a weakness or paralysis of the muscles controlled by the affected nerve(s). In the foot their may be a 'wasting' of the muscles as they do not work as well as before.

Visit you GP and ask him to refer you to a podiatrist or neurologist for a full sensory tests and in depth lifestyle and history consultation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr Foot Discussion Forum Index -> Toe Pain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: