Home Dr Foot Discussion
Take Care of Your Feet!

Facebook Twitter RSS
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr Foot Home Shopping Talk to a Podiatrist
How did you all break your foot?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr Foot Discussion Forum Index -> Sports Injuries
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What season do you prefer?
Summer
54%
 54%  [ 12 ]
Winter
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Autumn
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 22

JoAnnG

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Helen,

I broke my 5th metatarsal on Dec.17, 2007. So, it has been almost 5 months since I broke my foot. It is still not healing. I am also using the bone stimulator 10 hours a day. However, my foot does not hurt me, so my doctor said as long as the foot does not hurt, he will put off the surgery for now. I am using my air boot less and less each day. Tomorrow will be the last day that I use the boot. I dont have to use crutches. Do you have a cast on your foot, or are you wearing a boot? I dont see my foot dr. till June 9th. I was getting an exray taken every 4 to 6 weeks, but this time he told me I didnt have to get one. He will probably give me a prescription for one when I see him in June. And my big toe is still not moving either, as well as my other toes. I cannot bend them. I hope I will be able to move them soon. Sad
koorahk

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: 5th met fracture - long time healing Reply with quote

Hi Jo-Ann,

I had a lower leg cast for 6 weeks when I first broke my 5th met base, on 8th December 2007 and was given crutches. Weight bearing as comfortable.
When the cast came off, I didn't receive an appt for physio until 5 1/2 weeks after. By this time I had gone over on my ankle again! I was also still getting discomfort and swelling, of both foot and ankle. When sent back to Fracture Clinic, beginning of March, the dr only seemed bothered about my ankle. I was given an Aircast to wear for 2-3 weeks, when walking but, discharged again from clinic. The Aircast did reduce the swelling of my ankle but, not my foot.
I was having a lot of pain trying to do certain physio exercises and my GP was concerned about the amount of pain and swelling I was still experiencing. So, she sent me for an x-ray on 9th April.
The radiologist reported that I have osteopaenic bones (which no-one mentioned when I had previous 2 x-rays) and a probable non-union of the rt 5th met base.
I was referred back to Fracture Clinic, on 16th April and this time saw a lovely dr who actually treated me as a person and not an injury! He listened to everything I told him, examined both my foot and ankle thoroughly and decided that we should have a plan of action - at last!
I am having an MRI scan on Tuesday, 13th May, of my rt foot and ankle, to hopefully find out what the problem is and why I am now experiencing a lot of pain and swelling.
I am getting very fed up now of not being able to walk properly and the pain is getting me down as i am already in a lot of pain , most of the time, anyway.
I have a rare kidney disorder - loin pain haematuria syndrome (LPHS) - and regularly take dihydrocodeine, tramadol or, Pethidine (Demerol), as required. As I am narcotic tolerant I'm having to take Pethidine now for the pain in my foot/ankle! I can't take NSAID's because of the lphs.
The dr felt a lump over my 5th met base and I have noticed this gradually appearing over the past 3-4 months.
Anyway, I am going on holiday for a week, on Wednesday, so going to try and have a wonderful relaxing time. When I get home I'll be seeing the dr again, with the MRI scan results and hopefully the next plan of action will be putting whatever is wrong, right!
Will keep you posted!
Helen (Koorahk) Rolling Eyes
JoAnnG

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Helen,

How did everything go when you went for the MRI? I have not been wearing my boot now for a few days. I walk with a limp, and I still cannot move my toes on my right foot. It really scares me that I cant move my toes, expecially my big toe. I also have ulcerative colitis, and I believe that the medication I am taking is hindering the healing process.
Hope you had a relaxing time on your Holiday!!

Jo Ann
smercog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: TRAGIC STORY. Reply with quote

[b][color=green][/color][size=24][/size]

it was the day after my graduation and i was walking. i stepped off a curb, and when i got up to walk, by foot just gave out. so i went to the ER and ended up breaking and dislocating EVERY METATARSAL BONE in my foot. since they weren't just broken, but dislocated, i had three screws put in. three months later (next week) i get the screws out. apparently, i won't be fully healed for another three months. if anyone can come up with a more interesting story for me, that'd be nice.[/b]
suziealbu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I as at a dance and was wearing 3 inch heals. I forgot to take them off and was jiving like and idiot. I twisted my ankle in mid spin and landed badly on my foot and think the person I was dancing with landed on top of me which didn't help. As I had had a drink or three I didn't really realise how much damage I had done and took pain killers and arnica for a few days and the swelling and bruising went away. I thought nothing of the 'sprain' until I realised it was still hurting three months later. I went to the doctor twice and was sent away with a flea in my ear - they said that if I had been walking on it for 3 months 'it can't possibly be broken'. The doctor finally recommended physio which I tried. The exercises given to me were really painful and when I complained of the pain, the therapist said that she suspected a fracture and why hadn't I been sent for an x-ray? ANyway, I went back to the doctor who scoffed at me and reluctantly gave me an x-ray chitty and said she very, very much doubted there was a break.... I have just had surgrey consisting of an interntal fixation two screws, a metal plate and multiple bone grafts. I will be off work and non-weight bearing for two months and my life has been completely turned upside down. The good thing is my husband now knows what I have to do everyday! Any post-op stories out there??
sore paw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Just joined, I'm sitting at home feeling sorry for myself, 3 weeks after surgery for a lisfranc fracture, one broken bone and 3 dislocations.

Please can anyone give me any positive feedback, as looking on the internet I seem to be in for a long and painful recovery.........sob
Sad
suziealbu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sore paw wrote:
Hi
Just joined, I'm sitting at home feeling sorry for myself, 3 weeks after surgery for a lisfranc fracture, one broken bone and 3 dislocations.

Please can anyone give me any positive feedback, as looking on the internet I seem to be in for a long and painful recovery.........sob
Sad

Ouch. Poor you. What painkillers are you taking? I presume you are non weight-bearing. Sorry don't know what a lisfranc fracture is. However, my post-op is much better now and I am off painkillers completely (op was 3.5 weeks ago. Am going in for xray on Thurs to see if union has ocurred in my old foot. Then if all well, cast will be off in 2 weeks. It really has flown by, but the first three weeks are the hardest as you get very frustrated and scared and those looking after you get a bit agitated too. The turning point is definately three and a half weeks. Keep going and enjoy the rest!! Wink
sore paw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for the reply
I was on co-codamol, 50/300 but they made me feel completely woozy, almost drunk 24/7..............not nice. So I went onto paracetamol and have managed to cut them down to just at bedtime...........I hate taking painkillers!
I have another 3.5 weeks in plaster, then 6 weeks in a moon boot, then the 2 screws in my foot have to be removed next Feb. Sorry to sound so self pitying, but it looks like a long long process.
Internet blogs talk about taking 1-2 years to make a completely pain free recovery from this kind of injury............gulp!
DavidWM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: BROKE 4 OF 5 METETARSALS IN PLAYGROUND !! Reply with quote

2 weeks ago I was playing on a swing set going higher and higher until, at the highest point, I jumped off the front. I got some great altitude, but came down wrong on my right foot and fractured the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Metetarsals. The breaks were violent and "almost" compound.
I just had surgery 3 days ago... Pins, Plates, and Screws. The pain is awful. I pray this heels quickly and that I will walk normally again soon!
P.S. While we've all pulled that "jumping off swing-set" maneuver at one point in our lives, I've learned now that it should not be attempted by those over 50 years of age!!
tigghogg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did mine trying to race my 9yr niece to the .. Ran across the garden (it saves time) instead of around it. Jumped over a rose bush cos i didn't wanna break it and bang over on my foot, snap, pop and that was it.
mx rider 141

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: broken foot Reply with quote

hey im 14 just broke my broke foot i think 8 weeks ago. fairly sore still feet dont hurt just sides of ankles and when i try to put a bit of weight near the front of my foot. Dont know what it is but everyone seems to break their fifth metatarsal. I fell off my bike doing motocross. Went of a tabletop, whipped the bike and didn't bring it back, i went of the handlebars and the bike crashed done onto my foot. broke two of my tarsals, broke the head of my 2nd, 3rd and 4th. broke the base of my foot forgot what bone and most of the ends of my toes. haha getting bored and cant wait to get back on the bike.
hunter12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke my playing football I fell back on it making a tackle and it felt like my big toe touched my big toe an it made a big pop I tried playing the next down but a team mate could tell I was in a lot of pain so they called time out an I hobbled to the side line an laid down. Went to the Dr that following Monday an came to find out I had a lisfranc fracture and a nut cracker fracture on the other side of my foot an they gotta operate on it. Bad thing was I was a senior and broke it on senior night
melvin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i broke mine on a basketball game
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr Foot Discussion Forum Index -> Sports Injuries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: