Home Dr Foot Discussion
Take Care of Your Feet!

Facebook Twitter RSS
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr Foot Home Shopping Talk to a Podiatrist
Not sure about bunions....would be grateful for advice.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
collyk

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Not sure about bunions....would be grateful for advice. Reply with quote

Hi all,

About 6 months ago I started experiencing regular pain on the top of my left big toe joint. Sometimes it was painful to the touch, but otherwise nothing major. I very rarely wear high heels. I am mostly in bare feet or flip flops. I wore high heels when I was younger but haven't worn them regularly for over 15 years.

I started to notice that after I wore my Birkenstock flip flops particularly, I would get a bit of swelling on the inside of the big toe joint and pain. Ice seemed to sort that out and if I stayed barefoot I did't get another problem.

I've been visiting with my mother and told her about it...she took one look at my foot and said 'It's bunions'. She has them, her sister has them, her mother, grandmother and aunt had them. I can see that she is probably right as my toe is turning slightly towards the other toes now, though there is no big growth yet.

It just seems to me that my symptoms don't totally match. The pain is on top of the big toe mainly. I don't wear shoes that enclose my feet and am mostly barefoot. I have suffered from planar faciitis in the past and managed it with orthotics and exercise. I only wore expensive, well fitting flats during that period. When I moved to my current location 5 years ago, my doc told me the symptoms were going to lessen due to living in bare feet and they have. I have almost no symptoms of the planar faciitis now, but this toe thing is new and very irritating.

Please do not advise me to see a podiatrist as there is not a podiatrist in the country I live in. At this stage I am just looking for some basic advice to point me in the right direction. Thanks so much for listening. Look forward to hearing from you.
sailor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Thought it was bunions but it is arthritis..... Reply with quote

You sound like the same situation you are in that I was in.

I started to get these lumps on both feet at the bottom of the big toe. I put it that it was bunions but I went to the hospital yesterday and got told it was arthritis on the big toe joint.

If it is a bunion, the lump should be on the side of the foot not the top of the foot.

Does anyone else have experience of arthritis in their big toe joint on both there feet? Laughing
collyk

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. Since posting this, I've found that it is mainly flip flops that cause this pain. I don't seem to have any bumps, just swelling. No redness, just soreness in joint. Advil is helping but I really don't want to be putting up with this forever. So I hope to hear more info eventually.
sailor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Thought it was bunions but it is arthritis..... Reply with quote

I found flip flops hurt me as well because your feet are not supported.

Also I have been told that anything that goes over the joint and put pressure on the joint can be a cause as well.

Ask to be referred to a foot doctor at your local hospital. I am glad I did as I would of put up with the pain and never found out that I had arthritis.

Cheers.
collyk

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm interesting...my flip flops are Birkenstocks which were recommended to me by an orthopaedic surgeon when I had planar faciitis. So I'm a bit confused. As I said in my first post, I cannot be referred to a foot doctor as there are none in my country of residence. Hence I am trying to get info here. Thanks.
Vipul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I am new to this forum. I have been suffering from foot pain since the past five years. Initially the pain was on the big toe and the doctors said it was gout. Now the pain starts from the arch region towards the upper part of the foot and then the ankle. The pain shifts from one foot to the other and it takes at least two weeks to heal. I have to take a lot of painkillers and apply ointments. The doctors were not able to tell me exactly what it is. My toe seems to be a bit inverted. Please help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr Foot Discussion Forum Index -> Bunions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: