Home Dr Foot Discussion
Take Care of Your Feet!

Facebook Twitter RSS
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr Foot Home Shopping Talk to a Podiatrist
Can I walk on the Boot without crutches?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr Foot Discussion Forum Index -> Sports Injuries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Can I walk on the Boot without crutches? Reply with quote

hello all, I am a new member. I broke my 5th metatarsal Jan 25 at a sporting event, ironically I was watching the game not playing. Either way I was rushed to the ER put in a splint and sent on my way. After that I had a follow up and the doctor told me he wanted to put me in a cast, I refused. Being a college student it is hard to get around in a cast, So i went for the walking boot. Its been 3 weeks now and I use my crutches sometimes but I was wondering, do i need to use crutches with the walking boot, mind you its not the aircast, which i think gives more support. Either way has anyone walked without crutches? is that ok
sbon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: crutches Reply with quote

This article talks about weight bearing when you're trying to get a 5th metatarsal to heal:

http://theacc.collegesports.com/genrel/092005aaf.html

Although crutches are totally annoying, they do slow you right down which can keep you from hurting yourself. Being injured negatively affects your proprioception (spatial awareness), so until you're healed you run a risk of injuring yourself again or making your injury worse. I had a broken foot, stopped using crutches, and managed to make the break much more severe. I wish I'd just taken it easy. It's now 13 months later and still not healed. Personally I hate crutches - having spent months on them - but if I'd used them just a little bit longer at the beginning I might not be in this situation now.
pat621

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Crutches??? Reply with quote

I too have broken my fifth metatarsal 9 days ago.I was given a boot & told to use crutches. I walk on the heel of my foot using the boot while in the house ( I can't drive since it's my right foot or work due to the fx). I use the crutches when I go out for the most part.
How are you doing now, it's been a few weeks?
lindalewis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to you all
At the moment I am using a walking stick, I needed it and bought it, but I am finding it makes my hand ache.
I was thinking about crutches! can anyone please tell me, do you have to ask your GP or Rheumatologist to refer you to the department or how else do I get access to some.
Thanking you in advance
kckbxngrl07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: CRUTCHES Reply with quote

@pat126 you mentioned you could not drive or work. did you have sick days /I'm asking because at my job there are not and wonder how you got time off work without getting into trouble. for me i think all i will be able to do is get time off for the next 6 weeks with a medical note and it just counts as 1 call off against me. which i have only 2 call offs left and after this one, only 1 left before i get the boot..no pun intended!
Nurimex

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Can I walk on the Boot without crut Reply with quote

Manning had only a mediocre year last year. Then everything went right. There was some luck involved also which you need to win it all except for the 85 bears and the 86 Gints. If Manning does not inprove, they have no shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dr Foot Discussion Forum Index -> Sports Injuries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: